Preserve your Beautiful Smile and Save Money with these Dental Hygiene Tips
Cavities, root canals and fillings can add up to a big dental bill. It is much better to prevent these problems in the first place. Maintaining healthy teeth and gums saves you money in the long run by avoiding the need for costly dental procedures including restorative treatments.
A healthy mouth is also a critical component of your overall health so good dental hygiene can save you more money than just dental bills. Here are ten tips from Family Dentistry of Stuart that will ensure you are doing everything you can to maintain good oral hygiene, save money and preserve your beautiful smile!
1. Brush at least twice each day. Use a soft bristled brush to avoid causing harm to your gums. Make sure the brush is not too large for your mouth.
2. Replace your toothbrush when the bristles show wear and tear, are frayed, or begin to spread apart. Also replace your toothbrush if you’ve had a cold or sickness. If you have dentures make sure and check their fit at least once each year to prevent problems.
4. Brush properly. Take your time and make sure to get the inside as well as the outside of your teeth as well as the top surfaces which are used when chewing.
5. Adjust the toothbrush for each of these surfaces for optimal effectiveness, including holding the toothbrush so the bristles are at a forty-five degree angle to gently reach beneath the gum line.
6. Brush your tongue to remove bacteria build up that is often left unchecked and can be a major contributor to bad breath ranging from mild to halitosis. After brushing use an anti-microbial mouth rinse to help control bacteria and gingivitis.
7. Floss your teeth at least once each day. Floss slowly and carefully to avoid any cutting of the gums. Allow the floss to gently reach into the gum line to remove any trapped debris there. After flossing each tooth loop, advance the dental floss to a clean section for the next tooth.
8. Avoid overly sugary foods and beverages (e.g., sodas) which may hasten the formation bacteria and harmful plaque build-up, and will increase the risk of cavities. In particular avoid sweet, sticky products such as taffy which can maintain a prolonged contact with your teeth increasing the chances that harmful bacteria may begin to form.
9. Brush your teeth before going to bed. At night there is less natural cleansing of the teeth by your own saliva so it is important that you brush before bedtime and don’t eat sugary snacks just before going to bed. Smoking is also harmful to your gums and teeth so don’t do it.
10. If you have dental insurance check the details of you plan to ensure you are taking proper advantage of everything that is offered including the regular dental check-ups as well as teeth cleanings and x-rays so you make sure to check for cavities and other problems. It is far better to spot a problem when it is just beginning than to risk the chance that it will advance to a point which may require a more costly dental procedure.
Taking Care of Your Dental Hygiene – Family Dentistry of Stuart, Florida
Please give us a call at Family Dentistry of Stuart to consult about any and all of your dental needs. You may also wish to schedule a complimentary appointment for a more in-depth conversation about your dental options including family and cosmetic dentistry as well as Invisalign orthodontics.
Family Dentistry of Stuart serves the city of Stuart as well other Florida regions including Port Salerno, Palm City, Port St. Lucie, Jupiter and the greater Martin County area of Florida.
Dental Services Offered by Family Dentistry of Stuart:
More Dental Tips from Family Dentistry of Stuart